How to Straighten a Blood Pressure Catheter for Reuse
A catheter can become curved or bent after being implanted. This may require straightening the catheter for future use.
- Soak the device in an enzyme detergent immediately upon explantation to thoroughly clean and remove any biomaterial. Please refer to the Cleaning and Resterilization of DSI Implants tech note on the DSI Support Center.
- Rinse the catheter and re-gel if necessary.
- Carefully thread the catheter into the beveled end of a syringe needle.
- Mouse - 20 gauge needle
- Small Animal - 14 gauge needle
- Advance the curved/bent portion of the catheter into the needle and place on a tray.
- Place the tray in a warm (~40°C) environment, such as an incubator or heating pad, for at least one hour. The transmitters can also be left in the warm environment overnight. Do not exceed a temperature of 50°C while heating.
- If using a heating pad, cover the whole heating pad with a towel or other covering.
- Remove the tray with the Device from the warm environment. The catheters will cool down quickly to room temperature which will set the catheter in its new configuration.
- Once the catheters have cooled, they can be removed from the needle. If not adequately straightened, the heating process may be repeated.
Can't find what you're looking for? Contact Us
Please sign in to leave a comment.